“CAMPING RECIPES & TIPS FOR COOKING OUTDOORS”
Food always makes everything better, especially after a long day at the beach. So here are some “hacks” on how to make your camping food even better than a restaurant.
Eating well in the wilderness is key and if you are not properly prepared it can become a tedious less enjoyable task, so check out the rest of this blog to plan your adventurous meals.
The first and most important tip all SAMPERS should know while overlanding across Baja Sur is CHOOSE YOUR CAMPING KITCHEN ESSENTIALS AND PROVISIONS WISELY. While SAMPA can provide you with an awesome set of kitchen gear remember that you won’t be having much refrigeration for your food except for your cooler so make sure whatever it is that you buy can be outdoors without going bad and doesn’t take too much space; canned foods, a loaf of bread & a jar of peanut butter are also very practical for camping.
Another useful tip for cooking while camping is SET UP A DEDICATED KITCHEN AREA, instead of just having everything laying around take a moment and organize your space for prepping and serving. This helps to speed your cooking process and minimize your waste.
Take into account that when you start your meal prep, you’ll need some form of fire, it could be from a bonfire or from a portable gas stove (SAMPA has all of these as add-ons you can buy for your trip).
However, if you have no interest on cooking and you’d rather just have everything planned you can always bring or buy pre-made food. Some of our favorites dishes to make are pre-made salads, pasta dishes and sandwiches but if you wish to buy your pre-made food remember SAMPA offers this option.
- Diced tomatoes
- Red pasta sauce
- Boil water with a little salt and onion
- Finely cut some onion
- On a separate pot, add some oil/butter and sauté the onions
- Pour the red pasta sauce with the tomatoes on low heat
- Dice the tomatoes into small squares
- Add the tomatoes to the sauce
- Mix the pasta
- When the pasta is ready strain the water and put it in with the sauce
- Mix the pasta and serve
STUFFED BELL PEPPERS
- Bell peppers
- Cheese (of your choice)
- Cut your bell peppers in half and take the seeds out
- Cut half an onion and tomatoes in small pieces
- Sautee them in a pot for 5 minutes or until cooked
- Scrape your cheese
- Stuff you bell peppers with the sauteed onions and tomatoes, then add the cheese and let it cook in the pot for another 6-7 minutes.
- Add your olives and ENJOY!
- Graham Crackers (or any kind of sweet crackers)
- A large bag of marshmallows
- Large chocolate bar
- Start your bonfire
- Burn your marshmallows until crispy
- Break graham crackers in half. Break chocolate bar in half; center one section on each of 2 graham cracker halves
- Top each with marshmallow